• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Automation (Internet of Things) and free speech

GrandMasterDash

Masternode Owner/Operator
I love dash, it has the basic necessities of what people need from money i.e. anonymity and instant transactions. But it seems to me, to achieve mass adoption, dash requires a new string to it's bow. Getting dash into people's hands with a killer application is more important than it's price. With this in mind, I make the following proposal. I made this proposal before but I suspect I under sold it and I want to elaborate more. Unfortunately, I don't have the experience or time to put this through for vote, so I'm hoping someone here will take this on.

My basic idea is to turn the masternodes into a broadcast system that is both functional and profitable. Look at the success, for example, of twitter or StartChat (which combines bitcoin and chat for super easy transfer). People love social media and, more importantly, twitter has been a platform for free speech. However, twitter is centralised and has been subject to political influence and interference. Twitter developers are also hindered
by API restrictions.

Benefits:

- An anonymous broadcast system would compliment dash's darksend, becoming a platform for uncensorable free speech.

- It would open up the possibility of automation e.g. broadcasting a message and triggering an event (vending machines etc). And can you imagine integrating this with android's intents? (dash and tasker anyone?)

- Finally, of course, the ease of money transfer within a chat (possibly to multiple people) without having to copy and paste long strings of text.

This would be profitable because we would use micro-payments based on data size and lifespan. A tiered system with the following recommendations:

Available lifespans:

- 2 hour; ideal fit for tv viewing / near real-time events (standard service)

- 48 hours

- 180 days*

Available data sizes:

- text / data < 1K (standard service)

- data 1K - 2M

- data 2M - 1G*

- files 1G - 100G*

* Due to space requirements, only carried by masternodes wanting to offer this service.

In other words, a standard service would be for small files for short periods, thus keeping space requirements to a minimum yet remaining very useful.

A standard broadcast might cost, say, 2 cents. Larger data, longer lifespans, obviously cost more. Pricing could also be dynamic, possibly based on volume and resources available. Full API access with similar costs.

Facilitate; channels, groups and hashtags.

With this in mind, I make the following proposal. I made this proposal before but I suspect I under sold it and I want to elaborate more. Unfortunately, I don't have the experience or time to put this through for vote, so I'm hoping someone here will take this on.

Cool!

Is it your proposal to make it real or just an idea? :grin:

I think many of us have batch of ideas for many years ahead. But problem is not the absence of ideas, but absence of people who can make (even simpler) ideas real.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, just my idea, sorry. I don't feel confident enough to project manage it. I wanted to put the idea out there because I feel something like this would help propel dash to a whole new level. Looking at some of the other threads, it seems to me the overall sentiment is that dash is maybe a little under used and and needs more widespread adoption.

If someone here created a fund to develop this idea, I would certainly donate to it outside of the budgeting system.

I'm not a developer. Maybe someone here can help to break this down into manageable goals or tell me what the next step would be.

It's touching something that might have a big role at some stage, commoditising data storage and turning empty space on hard drives into an asset. Not sure how that can be achieved, there's several interesting projects working on it and I'd imagine blockchains can have a role in it but as far as I can see there'd need to be a virtual machine as part of it, a common means of interacting with the stored data so common uses can function seamlessly. Messaging is obviously something that can play a key role but ultimately it could go way beyond, like HTML is the common language of browsers but expanding to economics, personal info, legal procedure, decentralised organisations and so on into things we cant even begin to imagine from here.

I was thinking the messages would be raw data and it would be down to app developers to do as they please. If they wanted to build custom chat apps, or gateways into irc, sms etc then it's down to them. The masternodes would simply be the transport; facilitating the broadcast and redundancy across the network. The functions I described above would be the proof-of-concept app to demonstrate what can be done. Keep in mind, once the development was done (not cheap, I know), this would be a platform that would almost continually generate some kind of income.

....sorry, I meant to say, the message attributes (lifespan, duration etc) would be as above, but the message themselves would be raw and down to developers. Masternodes would simply provide the pipework.

That makes sense, its something that fits right in and a big +1 to the suggestion. I'd only brought up the other stuff because the way tech is evolving it could have far reaching implications, a search for the double deposit whitepaper could give some idea of what it could enable. The message lifetime is something really important imho though, not just for messaging but for crypto as a whole and the whole block size fiasco in Bitcoin highlights that, folks place a value on storage requirements and its turning into a big issue so anything aimed at giving a return on storage is a plus imho.

Back