• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: Resubmittal for Reimbursement for Acquisition & Setup of Dashtalk

Ryan Taylor

Foundation Member
This is a cross-post from https://www.dashwhale.org/p/dashtalk-acquire-v2

This proposal is a second attempt to obtain reimbursement for the costs of acquiring and migrating Dashtalk over to Dash ownership. The first proposal, which can be found at https://dashtalk.org/threads/proposal-reimbursements-for-acquisition-and-setup-of-dashtalk.8459/ was not funded. We are resubmitting the proposal for a few reasons:

1) The proposal actually received enough net votes to receive funding (at ~14% net votes), but was not included in the budget because of lack of available budget. The May budget appears much more capable of providing funding, with far fewer competing proposals.

2) Many community members on the forums expressed support for the proposal, but voted against it because they wanted to make sure Dash World funded in the April budget, or felt that we were submitting too late in the budget cycle. Many encouraged us to resubmit the proposal for May and would reverse their votes to YES.

3) With higher support expected for May, we believe resubmitting would best express the wishes of the community to own Dashtalk. Otherwise, we would again be in a situation where our primary communication channel was in the hands of individuals.

Original post with revisions for updated costs and current USD and EUR exchange rates:
Dashtalk.org has been a valuable resource for the Dash community and contains a great deal of our community's collective history, work, creativity, and ideas. However, Dashtalk was actually started by a community member (like Dashwhale) at their own expense. However, because the core team didn't control this asset, whenever outages, expired certificates, or other issues have occurred, we have been dependent on the owner to fix the issues. If you use the forums as a resource, I'm sure you've noticed the many outages it has experienced lately. As the database of content continues to grow, the value of Dashtalk to the community - and our dependence on it - only increases, so it was critical for us to control it.

I am pleased to share that the core team has negotiated the purchase of Dashtalk and the forum historical database and is working to transition / import the entire site to Dash control, while upgrading the versions of software it is running on. This is great news for the community that we were able to preserve the site in its entirety for a reasonable cost.

This proposal is a consolidated set of costs to acquire Dashtalk including:
- The purchase of Dashtalk's database and domains
- The purchase of necessary software to permit hosting of the forums ourselves
- XenForo license
- XenCentral
- Design expenses
- Cost of proposal submission
- NEW Cost of registering both dashtalk.org and darkcoin.org domains upon transfer (2 years for each)

Note that there are no costs included except for direct costs incurred by the team. We are only asking for reimbursement, and no costs for labor. Tungfa, moocowmoo, and fernando have been working very hard behind the scenes to make this all happen. moocowmoo in particular has put in many long hours working through long lists of issues to ensure a seamless transition.

Please vote to reimburse these guys for their costs!

I used an exchange rate of $6.41 / Dash for all expenses (based on the average market price on April 14th, the most recent full day available at bininfocharts). For EUR based expenses, I used $1.1265 / EUR. The community members being reimbursed assume all currency volatility risk.

babygiraffe

EDIT:
Manually vote YES on this proposal:
dash-cli mnbudget vote-many 31afab4f12ad2f8c3779bd6561b343c4afec21d42531f219f61710fbe74bd39b yes
OR from the qt console: mnbudget vote-many 31afab4f12ad2f8c3779bd6561b343c4afec21d42531f219f61710fbe74bd39b yes

Manually vote NO on this proposal:

dash-cli mnbudget vote-many 31afab4f12ad2f8c3779bd6561b343c4afec21d42531f219f61710fbe74bd39b no
OR from the qt console: mnbudget vote-many 31afab4f12ad2f8c3779bd6561b343c4afec21d42531f219f61710fbe74bd39b no

Last edited by a moderator:
Done, yes.
Cmon people please vote, preferably yes:smile:,
Dashtalk is most critical aspect after Dash itself and main website.

is the plan to still host this on dashtalk.org domain? i think it might be better because dash.org is already being used for a lot of different things.

is the plan to still host this on dashtalk.org domain? i think it might be better because dash.org is already being used for a lot of different things.

Highly doubtful, I've seen the new forums and they're on dash.org - dash.org is the better choice for SEO.

I support this proposal.

Historical domains are still needed though for redirects of old links, for example.

Back