• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Self-sustainable Decentralized Governance by Blockchain

I think some points need some clarification:

Proposals will be considered

By whom?

At any time, the masternodes can vote to show how they feel about specific proposals. After each vote, the software will automatically tally the total votes and if the project gets the green light, allocate the budgets instantly if needed.

So instead of having just one vote at a time (as it is now) there'll be a command "masternode vote <proposal_name> yay/nay" ?

I think some points need some clarification:

Proposals will be considered: By whom?
---

So instead of having just one vote at a time (as it is now) there'll be a command "masternode vote <proposal_name> yay/nay" ?

This system is going to be 100% decentralized from the start, so anyone can vote for *any* proposal directly through the protocol (even without using the proposal website shown above). We will run an official version of the software, but it's more like a blockchain explorer, because it can't write to the network. The masternodes will only interact through the system via the protocol.

As for the command? I was thinking of using something very close to what you said.

Yes - what a PRESENT! This is the Best innovation in this cryptocurrency!

Sky is no limit now! DASH obviously will outstrip Bitcoin. From this moment it's just a question of time.

Evan, thank you for thinking strategically!

P.S. Masternode operators, please don't worry about less % - do care about more real value you will get as result!

That is a very interesting approach. I was considering for my project (Bitsquare.io) some similar sort of DAO (I know its a bit too much buzzword...) as I believe that might be one of the more viable possibilities to solve the "tragedy of the commons" problem. Hope you get that right!

Besides that, masternodes will be able to vote on the introduction of this change, making the first distributed decision the actual creation of the system, similar to establishing a Constitution.

This is pretty amazing stuff right here. My favorite part was The quote above.

I think a lot of the details are left vague so that all you brilliant people can help hash it out. How the votes will go, how the projects will be prioritized, etc... I can see a lot of issues, the way this is written, but also see many solutions, so it's a matter of hashing it out together. How fun is that? I love this coin! LOL

Each project, if it passes, is added to the total budget and paid directly from the blockchain to the person doing the work. With this, we could hire core developers and pay them directly after approval of the work in a decentralized fashion.

How will we handle the approval of the work? We are talking mostly about code here so we will need more experts considering that not all of the people in our community are coders.

Quite a brilliant plan Evan, with the potential to transform the entire way we think about decision making and organisational management.

One area that I'm keen to hear yours and other people's views on, is how an approach like this will handle the fact that, unlike say elections of politicians where one vote supposedly has one value (i.e. a wealthy person's vote is equivalent to the vote of a lower socio-economic voter), the power of the vote within a consensus mechanism like this is very much skewed towards those with large masternode numbers. This is in effect no different to shareholder voting within publicly listed companies where large shareholder groups can heavily influence board proposals, even to the point of voting for individuals to be appointed or removed from boards or dramatic mergers and acquisitions agreed to that may be detrimental to smaller shareholders.

Within the voting rights for shareholders it's seen as "he or she that has the highest risk exposure by investing in the stock should therefore have the greatest voting rights" and this is certainly valid to a degree.Where it starts to fall down is when voting is facilitating greater and greater levels of monopolistic control (i.e. "the rich get richer"). Although crypto by default tends to negate some aspects of this, I'm expecting there will still be many ways large masternode holders could end up with substantial "political" weight to influence support for proposals that bring them even greater influence.

Somewhat of a can of worms I'm opening here, but I think this aspect needs to be discussed (certainly prior to a "masternode vote many yay" command gets introduced!) :smile:

Congratulation, sound really great idea!
Really excited about this new concept ;)

Just some small comments :
-Like Mr Crouton, 15% can be a lot of money at the end of the month. Not that I want to have more for my MN, but we all here think that the DASH value will increase (with such ideas like this) at 3$ a DASH this will generate the equivalent of ~1200$ per day (36K $ per month), imagine at just 10$ a DASH it will be ~4K $ per day (~120K $ per month).
-The vote can be done on the local or hot MN daemon? (or both)? In the case the vote is done on the hot daemon, this will give more power to Flare's or other person making MN services. Edit: I don't want to say "power" but normally the Flare's service is trust-less, in case he can make the vote then it will not be trustless anymore or maybe I'm wrong..

-The people running shared MN will need to make a vote between them to know where the MN's vote will go... ;)

Amazing concept. Well done to all who pitched in.

I propose a small change to the voting mechanism. We are not living in the 19th century wearing powdered wigs. Change the vote from "yay/nay" to "yes/no".

eduffield,

This looks fantastic! Finally something more just another payment processor or payment acceptance.
Creative idea that shows the power this technology. Simply amazing...
I am sure it is just the beginning and future of the crypto/blockchain - projects and companies using power of blockchain. Congratulations!

-Like Mr Crouton, 15% can be a lot of money at the end of the month. Not that I want to have more for my MN, but we all here think that the DASH value will increase (with such ideas like this) at 3$ a DASH this will generate the equivalent of ~1200$ per day (36K $ per month), imagine at just 10$ a DASH it will be ~4K $ per day (~120K $ per month).

It will not be right 15% from the beginning. First month - 2,5%, second - 5% and so on.
As we have no practical experience with effective spending such money - It will be wise not to spend it immediately - but accumulate for future expenses and projects.
Let's imagine "decentralized exchange" project - it can't be cheap. Lets imagine "7 new full-time DEVs", "5 new videos", "full-time newsman" and other possible options.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will not be right 15% from the beginning. First month - 2,5%, second - 5% and so on.
As we have no practical experience with effective spending such money - It will be wise not to spend it immediately - but accumulate for future expenses and projects.
Lets imagine "decentralized exchange" project - it can't be cheap. Lets imagine "7 new full-time DEVs", "5 new videos", "full-time newsman" and other possible options.

Yeh, you are right. Anyway this is great innovation, the revolution can begin....

A mind-blowingly brilliant presentation of an idea that represents a paradigm shift of biblical proportions.

Lets imagine "7 new full-time DEVs", "5 new videos", "full-time newsman" and other possible options.

dashd masternode vote free_beer_for_dashtalk_members yay
bier.gif

Back