• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Volunteer to support Dash development (Debian Packaging)

kot

Masternode Owner/Operator
During an interesting discussion initiated by community members in this topic: https://dashtalk.org/threads/announ...ment-and-delivery-excellence-initiative.4812/ , I have decided to create separate topics, to publish requests for your help and assistance.
As you can see, there are many great improvement ideas to implement and some open issues to address. We need your involvement and support to complete them all.

With this post, I would like to ask for help with the preparation of Dash Debian packages. Original request and description was created by oaxaca in this thread: https://dashtalk.org/threads/debian-packaging.4993/
If you have proper skills and want to contribute to success of Dash, please volunteer to this task.

Feel free to contact me, balu or oaxaca in case of additional questions. You can count on our full support during the development process.
Thank you in advance

Download
https://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/bitcoin-qt/download -> and open (7zip)
/usr/ with two folders

172c0bca6c4305eb0d77af26b93f.png

bin -> bitcoin-qt
share -> man and files for visual (kde, gnome and etc)

Thanks for the quick response - really amazing timing.
Nevertheless, I would need some help of someone more professional than me to prepare the package and some automation scripts to build similar package for each new release.
Would you be able to help?

We will need more than just a working Debian package file for Tails to consider including Dash. Does anyone know off hand the requirements to become an official Debian package maintainer? We may be able to get an existing Debian package maintainer to help us get it in the official repositories faster.

On a related note, what other distributions would we like packages maintained for? My next choice would be Arch, but I see we already have a couple of dashcore packages in the AUR repo. I suppose Ubuntu would be the next obvious choice. I am willing to create and maintain packages for at least 2 different distributions, but I'm not sure how much red tape is involved.

You guys realize the glibc requirements for debian to be supported right?

This isn't about compiling a .deb package.

GNULinuxGuy - thans for the declaration. It would be great to have even more distros than Tails.
Unfortunately, I have no idea how much red tape is involved (and glibc requirements neither). Could you guys put some more explanations here and/or lead this stream?
I am not really aware of technical requirements but will be happy to help with non-technical issues.

Electrum, fine
Encompass, fine
Ubuntu, fine
all good

But Tails is "Privacy for anyone anywhere"
Sounds like a perfect match

Had a little time to do some testing today. Since I believe poiuty has successfully compiled the stable branch of Dash Core on Debian stable (just some minor test case failures), I decided to test compiling the v0.12.0.x branch of Dash Core on Debian unstable. I was able to get it compiled, but it appears the cross platform compatible version of the bdb libraries is not in the Debian unstable repositories. There are also more test suite failures, but I don't believe any of these are genuine problems. For example, bitcoin-util-test.py has only 2 checks that fail, and both of those use hard coded BTC addresses/keys. I don't see any glibc related issues, so I think we're in pretty good shape aside from the wallet.dat incompatibility concerns with Debian unstable. I will continue working on this as I can find the time.

Nice work :)
Guys, can we make also some automation/compile scripts and upload them to github, so we have it always ready to use by external parties?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back